The Intensive English Program's mission at North Seattle College is to provide conversational and academic English language training to students whose native language is not English. The purpose of the program is to prepare English language learners to succeed in an academic environment.
Costs per quarter:
Below are estimates for cost of attendance for international students (Fall 2019 - Summer 2020).
- Reading/Writing ($1575-tuition ONLY): 10 credits
- Grammar ($787.50-tuition ONLY): 5 credits
- Listening/Speaking/Pronunciation ($787.50-tuition ONLY): 5 credits
- To develop the English language and study skills of international students in preparation for academic study at college.
- To facilitate intercultural awareness and understanding among students in IEP classes.
- To assist international students in their transition to American culture and the American education system.
- IEP’s instruction, services, and practices are in compliance with the standards of the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities and the Code of Ethics of NAFSA: Association of International Educators.
- Read and understand passages critically.
- Write a well-organized, coherent essay that summarizes, paraphrases, and/or synthesizes reading.
- Apply critical thinking to research and incorporate appropriate research into writing.
- Take notes effectively while listening to academic lectures, use lecture notes to create detailed outlines, and discuss detailed lecture.
- Use speaking skills to respond appropriately to longer, detailed academic questions.
- Use intercultural awareness and understanding to transition effectively into American culture and the American education system.
Overview of IEP Curriculum:
Download IEP Chart: Intensive English Program Chart
- No TOEFL/IELTS scores are required for admission. Students are placed into the appropriate level based on scores on NSC’s placement test. See IP placement testing for more information.
- The IEP has 6 levels, introducing English at level 1 to advanced academic English at level 6. You will study all aspects of the English language: grammar, writing, reading, vocabulary, speaking, and listening.
- Tuition is $3,150.00 USD per quarter. See the cost page for a full description.
- IEP class sizes are very small, so you have individual attention. They range from 10 to 18 students per class.
Eligibility for College Level Classes:
Students in IEP level 5 Reading/Writing can take one 2-5 credit college class (with approval of the IP Associate Dean). Students in IEP level 6 Reading/Writing can take one to two 2-5 credit college classes (with approval of the IP Associate Dean). Upon completion of level 6 Reading/Writing, students will be placed into precollege (097 or 098) or college (99/101 or 101) level English with no placement tests. Click here for IEP level 6 grades needed for direct placement.
IELTS or TOEFL placement:
Students must meet minimum placement scores to register for college level classes.
|Placement Type||ENGL 98 or IEP061 (RW6)||ENGL&99/101||ENGL&101|
|TOEFL IBT||Combined score of 64-71; minimum 15 on all sections||Combined score of 64-71; minimum 17 on all sections||Combined score of 72-73; minimum of 18 on all sections|
|IELTS||Score of 5.5; minimum 5.0 on all sections||Score of 6.0; minimum of 5.0 on all sections||Score of 6.0; minimum of 5.5 on all sections|
TOEFL IBT = Internet based exam
TOEFL in Testing Center at North = IBT
IBT textbooks use in TOEFL preparation classes.
A week after each quarter ends, IEP students will receive Completion of IEP Level certificates. These certificates will be available for pick up at the International Programs Front Office.
IEP students who have completed IEP Level 6 will receive Completion of Intensive English Program certificates during the IEP Celebration.
IEP Academic Calendar
Fall Quarter 2020:
September 29 – December 07
Holidays: November 11th, November 26th, November 27th
Winter Quarter 2021:
January 4th – March 12th
Holidays: January 18, February 15th
Spring Quarter 2021:
April 5th – June 11th
Holidays: May 31st
Summer Quarter 2021:
June 28th – August 19th
Holidays: July 5th