- Apply Now!
- Why Choose North Seattle
- What to Study
- New Student Information
- Academic Advising
- Immigration Advising
- Letter & Overload Requests
- Student Life
- Calendar of Events
Getting a Visa
Note for Canadian citizens
Canadian citizens do not need a visa to enter the U.S. You must show your I-20, supporting financial documentation, I-94 record, and SEVIS receipt to the immigration officer when you enter the U.S.
All other students, please follow these steps to get your student visa after you receive your I-20 from North.
Getting a Visa
In order to obtain a non-immigrant, student visa, you must be able to prove the following:
- That you have strong ties to your home country which demonstrate your intention to return home after your studies (in other words, that you do not plan to immigrate permanently to the U.S.)
- That you have sufficient funds to pay for your financial needs while you are studying in the U.S., including tuition, health insurance, housing, travel expenses, etc.
- That you have legitimate intentions to study full time and gain education and training which will be useful in your home country
1. Find your local U.S. Consulate or Embassy to schedule an appointment and check the approximate wait time for your interview.
2. Complete the visa application forms
3. Pay the visa application fee
Ask your local U.S. Consulate or Embassy for information regarding where and how to pay the visa application fee.
4. Pay the SEVIS fee (you must bring the SEVIS fee receipt to the visa interview)
5. List of Documents to prepare for the interview
- Your passport valid for at least six months
- I-20 from North
- North admission letter
- SEVIS receipt
- Visa application fee receipt
- Completed application DS-160
- Two 2"x2" (50mmx50mm) photographs
- Official financial/bank statement showing sufficient funds for one year of study at North
- Any supporting information that proves your ties to your home country, such as family members, a job, property, etc.
6. The Visa Interview
Dress appropriately, answer all of the questions clearly and in English. Do not be late!
Please contact us if you need additional assistance with your visa.