Visa Categories

If you do not have an F-1 student visa, please check to see if your visa status is eligible to study here at North Seattle College. 

Nonimmigrant Visa Statuses

Incidental Study:  Applicants may engage in incidental study while maintaining nonimmigrant visa status.

These applicants may not engage in part-or-full time study and is only eligible to take a course for recreational purposes.

Eligible visas

  • B1/B2 (Visitor for Business or Tourism)

  • J1 (Au-pair)

  •           **Must complete 6 credits for program.

  • P1 (Foreign nationals who are athletes, artists and entertainers)

  • P2 ( Artists and Entertainment groups, and their support personnel)

  • P3 (Artist or Entertainer coming to be Part of a Culturally Unique Program)

  • Q1, Q2 and Q3 (International Cultural Exchange program attendee)

  • TN (Citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals, to work in the US)


If applicant wants to study full-time in any NSC program, then he/she must either apply for F1 visa overseas at US Consulate/Embassy or apply to do Change of Status (COS) in the US.

Another option is to apply and study through NSC Continuing Education department or meet with ARRC Program Coordinator Fleetwood Wilson for other options.

NSC Continuing Education

Email Fleetwood Wilson

Part-or-Full Time Study: Applicants may engage in part-or-full time study while maintaining nonimmigrant visa status.

Eligible visas

  • F2 (Dependent of F1)

  •           **May engage in part-time study for avocational or recreational in nature.

  •           **Allowed to study full-time in the Intensive English Program.    

  •           **If "course of study" is desired, student must change to F1.

  • J2 (Dependent of J1)

  • P4 (Dependent of P1, P2 or P3)

  • Q3 (Dependent of Q1 and Q2)

  • TD (Spouse or child of TN visa holder)

  • Not Allowed to Study: Applicants that are not allowed to study while maintaining nonimmigrant visa status.

Eligible visas

  • WB, WT (Visa Waiver for Business and Tourist)

  • C1, C2 and C3 (Alien in Transit)

  • D1 and D2 (Alien crewmen)

Residency & ESL Eligible Visa/Immigration Statuses

The following visas and other immigration statuses are eligible for resident status/tuition and the general NSC ESL program.

Students who fit the following statuses should not be referred to the International Programs department. 

If any student meets any of the information below, please refer them to ARRC Program Coordinator Fleetwood Wilson. 

Email Fleetwood Wilson

Eligible Visas

  • A, E, G, H, I, K, L, N, O, R, S, T1-T4, U, V

Other Eligible Immigration Statuses

  • Permanent Resident (Green card holders)

  • Refugee/Asylum Status (Approved or Pending with Completed BIOMETRICS)

  • TPS (Temporary Protected Status)

  • Parolees

  • NATO

Eligible Non-US Citizens (Citizens of the following "US Territories")

  • Guam

  • Common Wealth of the Northern Marianas (CNMI)

  • Common Wealth of Puerto Rico

  • US Virgin Islands (USVI)

  • American Samoa & Swains Island

  • Federated States of Micronesia

  • Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI)

  • Republic of Palau (Belau)